Forest School is an inspirational process, that offers ALL learners regular opportunities to achieve and develop confidence and self-esteem through hands-on learning experiences in a woodland.
Forest School is not a physical place but rather a learning ethos facilitated by qualified and experienced practitioners.
Forest School follows six guiding principles :
- Forest School is a long-term process of frequent and regular sessions in a woodland or natural environment, rather than a one-off visit. Planning, adaptation, observations and reviewing are integral elements of Forest School
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural wooded environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning
Our Forest School sessions last either a half day or full day and are run in programmes of at least 8 weeks. We firmly believe, in line with principle 1 above, that Forest School must be long term to achieve its aims and 8 weeks is the minimum time we would allow for this. We run the sessions from various sites we have permission to use in the Peterlee area.
Our Forest School sessions are available to Schools, Nurseries and home-ed groups. Cost will depend on numbers and sessions required, each programme is different so please contact us for a chat about your requirements.
Our practitioners are qualified forest school leaders and members of the Forest School Association, fully insured & DBS checked.
We realise that committing to 8 or more weeks is a big decision so we are happy to offer taster days at a reduced cost so you can see if our programmes would be suitable for your group.